• April 15th Edition Out Now!

October Editor’s Note

October: the time of impending college stress for seniors (what time is it not?), amassing homework assignments, chilly 60-70 degree weather, and unnecessarily pumpkin-flavored everything. Fortunately, October also marks the first Spyglass edition of the school year! And we’re launching into the year full swing with a 25-person staff, including 10 students who are new to the elective, and a middle school club with 15 plus members—the largest staff we’ve had in Spyglass history. 

Over the summer, the Editorial Board spread out globally in places from Pennsylvania to Ireland to Israel to Ohio (never again). When we finally reunited on campus in mid-August, our discussions for the year centered on one primary goal/philosophy: strengthen and empower our community within Spyglass. Spyglass has been and always will be a hub for students with intellectual passion and curiosity. We write and investigate stories that we as individuals care about. So this year, I and the rest of the Editorial Board find ourselves experimenting with striking the balance between honoring individual passion and consistently collaborating and looking out for each other.

Whether it’s reporting collaboratively in articles such as Revisiting Westridge Reacts to Supreme Court’s Decision to Overturn Affirmative Action in College Admissions or Westridge Summer Global Art Program Takes on Ireland or completing more in-class activities such as writing our own headlines, the Editorial Board is already making an effort to bring the Spyglass staff together. We’ve even switched from a classroom with a strangely hierarchical desk row arrangement to a more intimate and collaborative space in RB40 (although it is affected by the Westridge stench).

As you peruse through our website this edition, I encourage you to think about where you fit into the Spyglass community. Does one of our stories spark an idea for a piece you would like to write? Is there a part of campus that you feel isn’t represented in our newspaper? Do you disagree with an op-ed we published? If so, write to us. We are not only prioritizing our community within the staff this year but the outside Westridge community as well. Our paper and story coverage only becomes stronger the more you engage. That being said, I hope you enjoy this edition!