• May 20th Edition Out Now!

Dances Give Middle School Students Opportunity for Community and Bonding

Students huddling in groups off to the side of the dance floor, waiting for a good song to play
(Karalim C.)

I strode into Westridge’s dimly lit Hoffman gymnasium which had been transformed into a dance floor, and stumbled over an unseen obstacle.  Disoriented by blinding, bright lights which randomly flashed in my eyes, I made out the shapes of people standing around the gym. The disco ball swirled on the ceiling, flashing the dark room with a sea of neon lights, casting dancing shadows onto the eager faces of students. I could just make out the whispers of gossip and giggles from conversations over the thumping, pulsating music. My brain was becoming foggy, mostly likely from the relentless beat of Taylor Swift’s popular song Antihero. I searched the faces of middle schoolers scattered about in clumps of friend groups, hoping to recognize someone, but they only stared back at me blankly. Finally, I caught sight of one of my friends wearing a flowing blue dress, relieved to spot a familiar face.  

“Karalim! There you are.” As we walked around the quad in a huddle, our conversations strayed from the song choices to the food and some random drama within our grade. 

“I wish we could have more than one slice of pizza,” one friend complained.  

“I totally agree–it’s not enough,” someone else added.

Though students may complain about the food or the music choices at the middle school dances, that doesn’t prevent them from attending or from having a good time.

Lower and Middle School Dean of Student Activities Ms. Farrell Heydorff organizes Westridge’s dances. She said, “I think that the main goal of the dances is for Middle School students to have a chance to meet students from their peer schools, have an opportunity to engage with them.”

Students agree that the dances do serve as a way to socialize with friends outside of school and also friends from Westridge. Andrea L. ’27 said, “I like that [the dances] are a way to meet people from other schools besides Westridge.” Additionally, many students feel that dances are a place to relax and have fun after a long week.

Khloe Z., an 8th grade student from Flintridge Prep who hasn’t missed a dance this year (Karalim C.)

Khloe Z., an 8th-grade student at Flintridge Preparatory School, added, “I go to the dances to socialize and release all the stress from the week and have fun.” 

Similarly, Hayden Y. ’28 agrees, “I go to socialize with my friends from Westridge. Sometimes we get ready together.” 

“Sometimes, the dances can cause drama; but other times, the dances can make people closer to each other by hanging out together,” said Mary L. ’28.

However, while dances are similar, they can be different at other schools, as each school’s rules for the dances are different. For example, some schools allow students to choose music, like Westridge, but other schools don’t. “Depending on the school, the dances can be fun, or not fun at all,” said Dillan R. ’28, who tries to attend every dance.

The middle school dances take place on Fridays from 7 PM to 9 PM, typically once a month, besides February or March, since different schools have spring break at different times. All the schools that participate in the middle school dances are part of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), and Pasadena Area Independent Schools (PAIS).  Dances are hosted across other schools, including Westridge, but not all schools have the facilities to host them.

Soledad B. ’28 and Mila D. ’28 drawing on their arms during a glow-in-the-dark-themed dance (Karalim C.)

Each grade’s student government plans their grade’s dance with a theme, music, decorations, and activities. They decide what kind of activities the dance will have or if they have them at all. “I love planning the dances, and we always try to bring everyone a fun experience,” Isabella Y. ’28, the 8th grade vice president, said. For example, this year, the 8th grade hosted a Glow in the Dark themed dance.

Usually, dance attendance is around 200 students per dance. Usually, the first dance of 7th grade is typically the most well attended. This year, 306 7th graders attended. As the year progresses, student attendance decreases as students become busier with homework.

Students dancing together in a crowd towards the end of the dance (Karalim C.)

Despite students’ busy schedules, attending dances still remains a top priority—even if peer pressure is to blame. “I don’t always want to go, but I sometimes have the fear of missing out when I see [my friends] text me pictures of it,” Amelie S. ’28 said.

Liv C. ’28 said, “I feel peer-pressured sometimes because if all my friends are going, then I’ll go too.” 

Not everyone enjoys the dances. “I think that the dances can be awkward, especially since you are around people you have never met, so usually I don’t really like going,” an unnamed 8th grader said.

However, while students agree that dances are an amazing opportunity to socialize, some students can also find the dances boring. Because students are not allowed to leave the dance until the end, not all students want to go to the dances. Jieni L. ’28 said, “If I didn’t have to stay for the whole time, I might go more frequently. I’m just busy and don’t have enough time to stay for that long.”  

Sara K. ’28 said, “Personally, I don’t like dancing, and I know other people that don’t as well, and the dances can be boring when there isn’t much to do. If I could leave earlier, I might go to more of the dances.” 

Students hanging out at the Quad in huddles of friend groups
(Karalim C.)

In the past, Ms. Heydorff and the student government have tried to offer additional activities like games. But more often than not, it’s just the ability to be with friends that makes dance attendance worthwhile. The dances are more than just a chance to dance to popular Taylor Swift songs. They’re about hanging out with friends, meeting new people, and connecting with old friends from other schools. Whether it’s by chatting about the latest drama or comparing music tastes, dances create a sense of community, bringing students closer together.  

“The dances can be a really fun place to dress up and hang out with your friends, and in general, to have that experience together,” said Olivia M. ’29.