The student-run newspaper of Westridge School for Girls, Spyglass strives to build community and evoke empathy through the medium of journalism. Comprised of passionate student writers, editors, designers, managers, and leaders, Spyglass is dedicated to ethical reporting that amplifies our unique voices to inform, entertain, and forge connection in the Westridge community and beyond.

Spyglass

• April 15th Edition Out Now!

Spyglass

Spyglass

Song of the Edition: ‘Liz’ by Remi Wolf

Genevieve W.
Remi Wolf’s Juno (deluxe) album.

Recently, I stumbled across a video made by one of my favorite singers, Remi Wolf. It was a short documentary about how she made one of her hit songs, “Liz”. It appeared as a single, then as the third track on her album, Juno, in 2021. Wolf first appeared on Season 13 of American Idol in 2014. She released her first song, Guy, in 2019. Since then, she’s released 3 albums and 15 singles. 

About the song

Genius, Remi Wolf
  • Bright upbeat sound
  • Wolf said that a lot of her inspiration behind the song’s sound came from Amy Winehouse.
  • She wrote it with her producer Jared Solomon (stage name “Solomonophonic”)
  • Wolf and Soloman wrote the song while staying at their friend’s house in San Diego. One night, Liz, Remi Wolf’s college roommate, came to visit. Soloman, slightly intoxicated, started strumming the guitar and singing Liz’s name. Eventually, he shouted out the first line, “She’s a sexy little mamma, just like her daddy taught her.” Wolf later added, “Liz, Liz, she taught me how to live, she taught me how to give.”
  • At first, the pair would only sing “Liz” as a surprise song at concerts. They only first recorded it on a trip to London a few years later in March of 2020.
  • The song was recorded right before the COVID-19 pandemic but wasn’t released for another year.
  • In November, Remi Wolf will open for Paramore at their shows in Australia and New Zealand. She’ll also be a special guest on Olivia Rodrigo’s upcoming Guts World Tour.
  • Liz has always been one of my favorite tracks that she’s produced. It has such an optimistic tone- the song makes you feel like you’re being engulfed in sunshine. I always assumed it was a love song, but Wolf reveals in the documentary that it actually holds no romantic meaning at all. She just wrote it as a spur-of-the-moment gesture for an old friend. In fact, her intentions in producing the track were to just go party and have fun. Regardless, she maintains that she writes her music to hold various meanings for different people. To me, Liz’s primary meaning is to relish in the joy of loving those around you.