• April 15th Edition Out Now!

Alumnae Weekend Made Me a Westridge Patriot

Danny Moloshok
Westridge alumnae raise their hands to represent their graduating year during the luncheon.

On Saturday, March 9th, groups of Westridge alumnae reunited at Westridge for the school’s annual Alumnae Weekend celebration. As I stepped onto campus with my Spyglass sweatshirt and tote bag—clearly not a fellow alumna—I was initially unsure how to integrate myself in conversation between decades-old classmates and friends. While I meandered aimlessly towards the refreshments, women beside me embraced, gasping in excitement and admiring old yearbooks and vintage Westridge merchandise. They easily returned to their lighthearted jokes and sarcastic nature, and eventually, I couldn’t help but also giggle at photos of my teachers from 2014. These short moments of shared smirks and shocked expressions were a testament to the rapport Westridge students have, just in their experience attending Westridge.

Commemorative tables of yearbooks and Westridge merchandise sparked interest and nostalgia during the event. (Mirella)

To my surprise, I spotted a graduate I hadn’t seen in ages—one whom I’d met when I was in 4th grade while she was a sophomore. As I shyly reintroduced myself, her face lit up with recognition and a “I totally remember you!” look as she gaped at how close I was to graduating. We rehashed old and new Westridge developments—yes, Man Lunch still exists, and no, Mr. Libicki left—and the seemingly daunting life-after-Westridge. Despite still being a junior, I felt at ease with the alumnae who happily joined and offered bits of advice and comfort (especially after expressing my anxieties about the college process). “Don’t worry, college was so easy after Westridge. Trust me, you’ll be fine,” said one alum. 

But the two stars of the Alumnae Weekend were undeniably the recipients of the Mary Lowther Ranney Distinguished Alumna Award and Distinguished Young Alumna Award—Debra Suh ’85 and Isabella Bautista ’16, respectively. Twice during the weekend event as well as in assembly on Friday, both recipients detailed their post-Westridge adventures in a Spyglass-moderated Q&A. Debra Suh recounted her mother’s educational experiences in convergence with her own as an advocate for social justice and against gender-based violence in AAPI communities, and the unfailing courage she brings from Westridge into her professional life. Isabella Bautista spoke about her role as president of the Junior Board of Swirls for Girls, a community-driven nonprofit dedicated to multicultural awareness, personal development, and impactful social projects, and her aptitude in incorporating her multidisciplinary experiences at Westridge (and beyond) to further social impact. 

Speaking to Debra Suh ’85 about finding the balance in what “justice” is in the eyes of the victim and the court. (Danny Moloshok)

Perhaps the 3rd star of the show, the 3-course luncheon in Hoffman Gym initially garnered an animated response from alumnae, faculty, and myself. As Ms. Kassar introduced graduating classes from as early as 1952 all the way to 2023, I couldn’t help but feel an immense sense of pride hearing the whoops and chants from each table hoping to represent their class the loudest. In every alumna, I could see a glimpse of their high school mannerisms and the reunion’s ability to rekindle and celebrate Westridge’s camaraderie.

While Westridge’s very own Glee Club graced us with Tracy Wong’s Ikan Kek Kek and Westridge’s Surgere Tentamus, attendees dined on sourdough bread, chicken with mashed potatoes, and peach cobbler. I happily snarfed down the chicken and cobbler, impressed with Westridge’s effort in delicious dining options. It felt too good to be true, and alas, it was.

Unfortunately, barely a day after the luncheon, alumnae and faculty alike reported symptoms of food poisoning. According to Fan Wang, Director of Alumnae Engagement, approximately seven staff members and 52 alumnae reported feeling ill. The Pasadena Public Health Department is still investigating the root of the issue.

Isabella Bautista ’16 reminisced on the impact of her interim week experience to New Orleans. (Danny Moloshok)

Thankfully, even having finished almost everything on my plate, with my stomach of steel, I miraculously escaped the horrors of food poisoning. 

Regardless, amidst the fog of misfortune, rays of commemoration and enjoyment radiated through the event and through each and every alum. The cheers for the two Distinguished Alumnae, bittersweet class reunion photos, and grinning recounts of Westridge lore all contributed to the lively atmosphere Alumnae Weekend created—even for myself. Truthfully, after having the pleasure to experience the thrills of Alumnae Weekend, I cannot wait for my own 50 year reunion. Until 2075, I will continue to be proud and grateful to call myself a Westridge student.