• May 20th Edition Out Now!

Middle School Students React to New Art Schedule Change

On May 8th, Dr. Kelly sent an email announcing the Middle School Art Program Change
(Carys H.)

On May 6th, the middle school gathered for its usual morning meeting when Ms. Farrell Heydorff, the Lower and Middle School Dean of Student Activities, announced that students needed to redo part of their course registration. The reason? Middle school was moving to year long arts courses.  

Reaction was mixed, as students initially struggled to understand the implications of the program change.  “Instead of a semester-long arts class, it will now be one year…” Ms. Heydorff continued.

Whispers and groans could be heard from students in Mudd Pit. Ms. Heydorff, Dr. Zanita Kelly— director of the Lower and Middle School—and Ms. Masami Hansen—Lower and Middle School Dean of Student Support and Spyglass advisor—quieted student reaction before continuing their explanation.  

Previously, students were required to take a semester of visual art and a semester of music–orchestra or chorus.  Theater, which had previously been offered only as an elective, would also be added as a year-long option to fulfill the arts requirement. Dr. Kelly provided an overview of the reasons the change was being made.  What seemed like a last minute decision had actually been part of a longer discussion to support student choice and development.

Hands went up immediately. The biggest concern was how would students get their first choices? Or would they be stuck on their second ones? Ms. Heydorff set up an optional meeting for students and the arts teachers as well as some department chairs.  Students could ask questions about what a year long program would include, how it would be different from a semester class.  Middle School Visual Arts Teacher, Ms. Jenny Yurshansky, Middle School Theater teacher, Ms. Julia Davis, Department Chair and Theater Director, Brandon Kruhm, Lower and Middle School Chorus teacher, Dr. Shinnshill Park, and Orchestra Teacher and Music Department Chair, Ms. Kerri Epps attended. Ms. Yurshansky opened the meeting saying that they were still in a phase of development with the idea that had been initiated five years ago. 

The meeting seemed more like a debate than an informative session. 10 curious 7th  graders, desperate for information about the new schedule change and the reason why it has changed, attended  “How is this going to help us?” Charlotte “Pickle” J. 29’ asked.  She continued, “I feel like middle school’s where you’re supposed to figure out what you’re gonna do and have only one year to do a class that isn’t really good.” 

The teachers explained that it would help when making your decisions for upper school arts.  Although teachers were positive about the change, the biggest worry that remained for students were their choices.  What if students didn’t get their first choice?  How likely was that to happen? And what would a year of an art class they didn’t enjoy be like? 

Ms. Heydorff explained that eighth grade students would get priority.  It didn’t matter how soon students submitted their course registration. But students who completed after the deadline would be at the back of the line in terms of priority.  Still questions remained about the popularity of the classes and how likely they were to fill up, especially now that theater which used to be an elective was now a year long arts requirement option.  

Dorothy M.‘29 said, “There is a big chance of getting your second choice because I chose theater, and it’s a pretty popular class.” Like Dorothy, many students wondered if theater would most likely push everyone to their second choices rather than their first

Ms. Davis shared that many of her students were asking and wondering what a full year of theater would be like. The biggest benefit to students and teachers was time, time to get to know each other as a class, time to develop relationships, time to go deeper into a topic or project.  

“For theater, there would be time to do like two miniature plays and costumes for those who want to try it…” Elina S.J. 29’ said.

“In a whole year, we can do more in depth work,” said Caitlin P. ‘29, but was quick to add “I don’t like it though.” 

Current seventh grade student reaction was mixed, but sixth graders soon to be in middle school were far more positive about the opportunity.  

“I liked [the year long class].” Madison W. ‘30 said. “I like to like explore more…I chose orchestra as my first option.” 

Elaine T. ‘30, agreed. Although she won’t be returning next year, she said, “I’m happy that it is year long, I could get the chance to experience something I like.” 

“I chose chorus as my first option because I like singing and the teacher. Dr. Park is nice and I love her questions of the day.” Allison Z. ‘30 said. “Most people in lower school enjoy orchestra, so I think the popularity rate is pretty high for that one.”

Careful thought and consideration went into every aspect of this decision and how it would benefit student learning. In her email to middle school families, Dr. Kelly described the change as “Exciting Updates to our Middle School Art Program.” In the optional meeting with students, Ms. Yurshansky shared that the courses are still in the first “phase of development…If you go into something with an open mind, like okay, ‘I didn’t get my first choice, but let me make the best out of this situation,’ the world can surprise you.” Ms. Heydorff encouraged students, “I advise you to take her advice and try something new! Maybe you’ll discover your new favorite art class!”

Despite the opportunity for deeper learning, many middle schoolers have yet to warm up to the idea of art classes becoming a whole year course and feel like they’re losing an opportunity to try options even if it’s only for a semester. Dorothy summed up a lot of her classmates’ feelings by saying, “I want to explore.” 

4
View Comments (4)
About the Contributor
Carys H.
Carys H., Lower/Middle School Staff