• May 20th Edition Out Now!

“We lost as a team and won as a team.” Middle School Flag Football Team Puts up a Valiant Fight Playing for the Prep League Championship

Still number one in the season. The team poses after championship game. (Katie Thompson )

The score is 7–6, Mayfield. We’re in overtime. The trophy is just inches away from the Tigers’ grasp, with a green championship banner ready to be ordered along with it. The Tigers can either go for the one-point and tie or call the two-point conversion and win the championship game. The ball is placed on the line, and quarterback Carolina A. ’28 calls, “Set, Hike!” in a nail-biting, hand-wringing, edge-of-your-seat final play of the season.

On Monday, May 13, the Westridge Middle School Flag Football team competed against rival team Mayfield Junior School in the highly anticipated first-ever Prep League flag football championship. After four games and a tournament, the Tigers were undefeated. Having beaten Mayfield 18–12 just a week before, the team marched onto Frank Field, shaky, excited, and determined.

From the very beginning, the game was thrilling. Scoreless until the second half, each player outdoing the one before, it was clear this would be a tough game. Bench players on their feet screaming, the audience biting their nails, both teams’ defense and offense giving their all. Westridge threw, they caught, and they ran. 

Bennett T. ’28, playing as safety in defense, handily pulled opponents’ flags as they tried to dart across the field. Alongside her, Sophie S. ’28, a starting defense player, dove courageously into the grass to pull a flag.

As halftime approached, the team anxiously lined up for one last attempt at a touchdown in the first half. The ball propelled just out of reach for the Tigers’ amazing receiver, Mina J. ’29, known for her heroic and impressive catches. 

The Tigers had made it to halftime without allowing a touchdown from the Mustangs. To win, the offense needed to pull through with a touchdown. With zero points each, both teams gathered into huddles and discussed their game plans for the next half. 

Inside the huddle, Coaches Marcus Randolph and Brett Washington gathered the Tigers together. Coach Marcus reminded the team, “They are not better than us. We can do it,” as Coach Brett added, “Our defense is tight. We just need to take risks with our offense.” Moments later, still slightly out of breath, the Tigers marched back onto the field for the second half. 

Off of a kickoff, Mayfield’s speedy and sly number one player dodged every one of the Tigers’ quick and precise defenders, scoring their first touchdown. Earning the extra point, the score was 7–0. For the first time in a long time, the Westridge Tigers were losing. 

But the fight was not over yet. With plenty of time still on the clock, Charlotte H. ’29 swiftly cut the Mayfield line of defense and sprinted forward with the ball in her arms, determined to earn yards for her team. Each and every player was giving their all and did not stop fighting.

Westridge fought hard right up until the very last “Set, Hike!” with just 3 seconds left. Teammates on the sidelines yelled in support.

“Come on Tigers!”

“You got it!” 

One teammate, in hopeful anticipation, said, “I love this team. I will actually cry if we lose.”

The audience was on their feet, cameras and hopes held high. Ready to go, the ball was snapped, for the Tigers’ last shot. Every game, every practice, every team meeting, and every round of sprints came down to this play. 

And then the clock buzzed, bringing the Tigers’ season and hopes of a championship to an end. The Mustangs triumphantly ran together into a hug. Cheering, bouncing, and smiling. They thought they had won the second the buzzer sounded, and for a moment so did everyone else. 

But the ball was still in play.

“Run, it isn’t over!” The audience screamed, hoping to catch the attention of the quarterback holding the ball.

Carolina, realizing the game wasn’t over, a look of determination flooded her face. Sprinting with the ball, she fearlessly crossed the end zone, only catching the eye of one Mayfield defender. 

Screams roared from the Frank Field stands. 

“This isn’t fair!” yelled Mayfield fans.

“Let’s go Tigers!” yelled Westridge fans.

The most important cheers came from the team as they ran to the field and hugged their teammates celebrating a triumphant comeback. 

But what felt like a never-ending game still wasn’t finished. At 7–6, the Tigers needed to score one point to tie or two points to win. Coach Marcus signaled the ref, “We’re going for two.”

“Hut, Hike!” Carolina sent the ball into the air, and as it soared, there was no more luck or coming back, it was just this final play. The game ball fell to the muddy field, landing like a brick at the bottom of an empty well, taking with it the Tigers’ hopes of a victory. 

Holding back tears, the team huddled one last time.

“We lost as a team and won as a team,” said starter Charlotte H. ’29.

“I’m so proud of this team, I love our nicknames, and I can’t wait to see you next season,” said Coach Marcus.

The team crowded together for a team picture, awkwardly posing and trying to hide their disappointment.

“Everyone hold up one finger. We’re still number one,” a parent affirmed.

Despite the strained smiles, it was the season of a lifetime. One that taught the Tigers about winning and losing, about taking risks and playing safe, and about ourselves and teammates. 

Danielle L. ’29 summed up what many of her teammates were feeling in the moments that followed, “We were really just a team for that loss.” 

Although the championship game came to a disappointing end, the season was still a wild success. Despite the loss in the final, the Tigers were ranked #1 in the league. It was a perfect season in so many ways, not the least of it the team spirit and support. First-time Westridge Coach Marcus could barely hide his pride in his team. 

“Everybody told me their goals in the beginning of the season, and everybody started hitting and accomplishing those goals throughout the season.” 

“Obviously winning is great, but just being a part of that team and a part of that team culture was just as if not more important,” Sasha P. ’29 said.

Click here for a short video!