The student-run newspaper of Westridge School for Girls, Spyglass strives to build community and evoke empathy through the medium of journalism. Comprised of passionate student writers, editors, designers, managers, and leaders, Spyglass is dedicated to ethical reporting that amplifies our unique voices to inform, entertain, and forge connection in the Westridge community and beyond.

Spyglass

• April 15th Edition Out Now!

Spyglass

Spyglass

Sisterhood in Sports: Westridge Siblings Reflect on Their Athletic Journeys Together

Ella B. ’25
Both pairs of sisters have played sports with each other before, but this year marks the first time each sibling duo have played together at Westridge.

Westridge Athletics can often turn into a sisterhood, bringing student athletes from all grades of Upper School close together through wins, losses, practices, and more. But within some teams at Westridge are actual sisters, who team up on the courts, fields, and pools. This spring season, both the Varsity swimming team and Varsity lacrosse team have rosters with pairs of sisters. 

Both sibling duos reflected on what playing sports together means to them, and how it has strengthened their relationship. 

Natalie L. ’27 and Alana L. ’25: Varsity Swimming (and Water Polo in the Winter)

Westridge Water Polo and Swim were not the first times Alana and Natalie competed together; the two competed in club swimming for years. But their relationship has uniquely developed through playing water polo together in the winter, and then swimming in the spring. 

This is the first year the two have played for Westridge together, as Natalie is a freshman. Natalie said she wants to fully embrace the last two years they have together. “We enjoy playing together because we only have two more years until [Alana] goes to college,” Natalie said. “So it’s fun and it makes us closer.”

Alana and Natalie pose for a picture before practice. (Alana L. )

As the two get older, sports have remained a constant for the two. “We have a great relationship within our sports and I love competing and playing with her,” Alana said. “Sports have definitely brought my sister and I closer as the years go by.”

Together, Natalie says, the two have bonded over talking about their sports, driving to and from practice (as Alana can now drive), and helping each other out in games. Natalie said her favorite memory of playing with Alana is assisting her. “I liked assisting like her goals during the water polo season because it’s a ‘sister assist,’” said Natalie.

Alana’s favorite memory relates to Natalie’s: “One of my favorite memories with Natalie would be our first ever water polo game against San Marino where she assisted on my first goal. We were both so happy as we had just switched from swim to water polo and we were just so excited.” 

Not only does Alana serve as a friend to Natalie but also an inspiration. “I hope to be as good as her. I aspire to be her. She inspires me,” she said.

Nina K. ’26 and Keira K. ’26: Varsity Lacrosse 

Like Alana and Natalie, Nina and Keira, twins, have long competed alongside each other, in gymnastics and lacrosse. But this is the first year they are both playing lacrosse, as Nina made the transition to the sport from Track and Field. 

In separate individual interviews, the two noted the positives and negatives of playing as twins. Nina said, “It’s challenging, I’d say, because being seen as an individual is very difficult.” But she continued, “I mean I love working together, we have this connection.”

Nina and Keira playing lacrosse when they were younger. (Nina K.)

Meanwhile, Keira said, “She’s my best friend. I love doing stuff with her. We just have so much fun doing stuff together.” When commenting on her sister joining the team as a sophomore, she said, “Originally it was kind of hard because a lot of people got us mixed up. I was a little nervous when she joined. But when she joined, I realized she made it a lot more fun.” 

To combat confusion, Keira sports hot pink cleats.

Despite still being underclassmen, both Nina and Keira are consistently strong players. Keira is one of the team’s leading goal scorers, while Nina just made the switch to offense from defense. Nina’s favorite memory of playing with Keira is watching her score goals. 

While these sisters love each other, it is not always perfect, but that’s what makes the journey so special. Alana said, “I believe sisterhood in sports has both its ups and downs. Although sometimes our competitiveness overtakes our moods, at the end of the day we are still sisters and we cheer each other on while pushing each other to succeed.” Alana concluded, “I’m really grateful to have my sister in the same sport as me. We are each other’s biggest supporters.”