• April 15th Edition Out Now! Apply to be the Head of Spyglass Live Today!

Teachers and Faculty help new students feel at home during Tiger Camp

Dillan R.
Campers having fun with their friends before Tiger Camp starts.

As the sun rises and the birds chirp in the morning, another day starts at Tiger Camp, Westridge’s summer camp program for Lower and Middle School, as students slowly trickle in from carline, filling the campus with laughter, chatter, and joy. In the ARC patio, students run around, playing games with the counselors and their friends until the first classes start at 9 am. Just looking around, it’s hard to tell between new and returning students.

Ms. T helping a student with her sewing project. (Karalim C.)

According to Farrel Heydorff, Tiger Camp Director and Lower School Dean of Student Activities, about 40% of the campers at Tiger Camp are new students. Making sure new students feel supported has been a priority for Ms. Heydorff and the Tiger Camp staff.  Ms. Heydorff puts new students in smaller groups with their counselors, so they can spend some time together and make friends, as well as eat lunch together. “Coming to a new place, a new school, is stressful for anyone, especially for a new student,” said Ms. Heydorff. “So to give them this opportunity to feel welcome and invited is very important to me, and it’s part of why I love what I do.”

Counselor Ellie L. and her handsewn stuffed animal. (Dillan R.)

The counselors also try to help new students who are not feeling included by talking with them inside and outside their classes.One of the new counselors to Tiger Camp, Ellie L.S.’25 said, “ On the first day of Tiger Camp, I tried to help one girl that was sitting by herself to be more involved with the other kids by talking to her and nudging her to join the conversation.”  Even some of the more experienced counselors, like Abigail Liang (graduate of the Class of 2023), also experiences these situations. “During my improv class, there was a new kid who didn’t really want to talk much, so I stuck with her for a while, and helped her feel included by spending a lot of time with her.”

“I love the new students.  They are always a good edition, and they always add so much to the class,” said Valerie Trimarchi, the Lower School Art Teacher.  She loves to support students by sitting next to them, checking in, and getting to know them.  

Librarian Stephanie Bolton is not teaching any classes at Tiger Camp this year but she has taught the Library Skills class during the past two summers. “I think the library is a good place to read and hang out, especially for new students to make them feel comfortable in this space.  The struggle I see the most is the awkwardness, and the feeling that you don’t know what’s going on, especially because you don’t know anyone and don’t know the campus very well.  I think the Westridge teachers and returning students are really good at doing their best to make the new kids comfortable,” said Ms. Bolton.

Stepping onto a new campus can be daunting for any student, but over the course of two weeks, new students transform from hesitant to confident, all while meeting new people and forging friendships that can last all throughout Westridge. It’s the support from teachers and counselors that helps students feel at home.

Sixth grader Jennifer H. showing off her handsewn snail. (Karalim C.)

New sixth grader Graysen R. said, “I was a little nervous at first, but not anymore—now I think Tiger Camp is really cool!” Emma C., a new seventh grader, also said, “To be honest, I was kind of nervous but also a bit excited at coming to Tiger Camp, and I think that it is really fun!”