• April 15th Edition Out Now!

A Love Letter to My 13 Cats

To my 13 cats, 

I know you all will never be able to read this; but since it’s the month of love, there’s nobody that deserves this dedication more than you. 

From left to right: Teddy, Berta, Cobe, Tzotzo, Melody, Connie, Heynew
(Kelly C.)

I love seeing your faces when I stumble through the door after school. Your adorable faces make me melt when you leap onto my lap to irritate me. When I have a good cry, you’re there to comfort me, even though what you’re really looking for is some tasty treats. You curl up in my lap to help me feel grounded, your cozy fur like a security blanket. All I can understand are your loving nuzzles and contented stretches, and that’s enough. When my complaints are seemingly never ending, you tolerate it. When I can’t sleep, you climb onto the blankets and curl up beside me. I’d like to think that you understand me. Something about your knowing looks and tilts of the head make me believe it. You give me irreplaceable love and trust, and in return, all you need are clean litter boxes, treats, and cuddles in a loving home.

Each of your unique personalities and quirks means so much to me. And so I want to thank each one of you, for all you do for me. 

Dear Teddy, 

You are the worst annoyance and you get away with it every time because of your adorable face and little pink nose. You love your dairy, even though you’re lactose intolerant. 

Dear Beibei, 

You scare me with your permanent angry glare, but I love you all the same, especially when you meow for pets and attention whenever someone walks in the room.

From left to right: Teddy, Cobe, Connie, Berta, Heynew
(Kelly C.)

Dear Cobe, 

You are the most handsome orange cat, with very good manners compared to a certain someone (Teddy…), and your deep purring makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. 

Dear Connie, 

You are paw-stively adorable! You climb onto my lap just to chill, and you meow so softly and innocently that I want to squish your cheeks and kiss your forehead.

Dear Maggie, 

You used to be so shy, running from me at every opportunity, and now you meow for treats and allow me to pet you and I can tell you secretly enjoy it. 

Dear Berta, 

You love getting brushed. It makes me smile to see you trying to bite the teeth of the brush and rubbing your chin against it to brush yourself. 

Dear Heynew, 

You are the prettiest cat, always curious and graceful. You are not just feline fine, you’re feline fabulous! 

Dear Robin, 

You used to hide under the table, but now you greet me when I’m walking to the bathroom, meowing for attention. You demand attention with such purr-suasion that I can’t help but stoop to pet you. 

Dear Sophie, 

You do not like me by all means. You hiss whenever I get near, but in rare moments, I take the opportunity to pet you when you are around other cats you like.

Dear Melody, 

Teddy and me! (Kelly C.)

You have a particular, throaty meow that sounds like music if you listen close enough. You always paw my hand for more pets. 

For the three that are up in heaven, you are tremendously missed. You have helped me learn to cope with loss, and I treasure the memories we had together. 

Dear Money, 

Even though I didn’t get to know you for that long, I wish I got to know you better. You were playful, batting at the basketball on the TV and helped fix our cat family. You intimidated Teddy to stop bullying the other cats and made friends with them. 

Dear Curly, 

I miss you terribly, you and your big, innocent eyes that I could never say no to you. 

Dear Tzotzo, 

You were always the skinniest, but you had the biggest appetite and I wish I could’ve done more. 

You are irreplaceable. I can’t imagine a life without you. 

Furr-ever yours, 

Kelly 

1
View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Kelly C.
Kelly C., Staff Writer
Kelly is a freshman and in her first year writing for Spyglass. Outside of Spyglass, she enjoys hanging out with her cats (10, in fact) drawing, reading, listening to music, and playing video games.