The student-run newspaper of Westridge School for Girls, Spyglass strives to build community and evoke empathy through the medium of journalism. Comprised of passionate student writers, editors, designers, managers, and leaders, Spyglass is dedicated to ethical reporting that amplifies our unique voices to inform, entertain, and forge connection in the Westridge community and beyond.

Spyglass

• April 15th Edition Out Now!

Spyglass

Spyglass

Loved by Sharks, Puppies, and Westridge Middle Schoolers, Darren Brown Returns to Westridge

(Darren Brown) Mo’orea Island Station.

“When I heard that they were looking for a science teacher, I went to Dr. Kelly immediately and said, ‘Can I apply?’” Darren Brown, 8th Grade Science teacher, said. He enjoyed teaching at Westridge as a long-term substitute so much so that it was difficult to leave, especially halfway through the year. 

As a seventh grader when Mr. Brown was a substitute, I heard countless positive stories about Mr. Brown. His inside jokes with students, creative labs, and positive attitude made him a great fit for the community. Students appreciated Mr. Brown’s presence on campus so much so that for Westridge’s annual Winter Wishes, where every grade at Westridge asks Matilda Tiger to grant them two wishes, the 8th grade class wished for Mr. Brown to be a permanent teacher. 

At the end of Mr. Brown’s time as a substitute teacher, the Class of 2026 threw a goodbye party for him. Mr. Brown recalled, “They had pinatas and stuff, and it was really surreal.” One of Mr. Brown’s favorite things about Westridge culture is the community amongst the students. Smiling, he recalled his memories of his 8th grade class: “I remember one time they went and posted pictures of a person named Bob White all over the class, which was weird.” He continued, laughing, “And then in one of the study halls, they took a bunch of cups and made some collage on my desk, and then wrote a bunch of weird stuff…It was a very artistic class.” 

(Darren Brown) Mr. Brown’s German Shepard, Roland, as a puppy!

One of Mr. Brown’s main passions is research—specifically, the effects of global climate change on coral reefs. Despite being a full-time science teacher, Mr. Brown continues to conduct his research on coral reefs over the summer. Since 2020, Mr. Brown has gone to Mo’orea Island in French Polynesia several times as a part-time research scientist to investigate light and photosynthesis in the ocean. On Mo’orea Island, Mr. Brown stays in his own bungalow for 2–3 months and experiments with different scientific processes. Although he has a busy schedule teaching and researching, he enjoys gardening and always makes room for playing with his German Shepherd, Roland.

Ultimately, Mr. Brown’s goal is for his students to understand and enjoy the scientific method. He hopes to see them making observations, formulating thoughtful questions and hypotheses, writing labs, and performing them. His favorite thing to see in students is their lab writing abilities. Mr. Brown also believes in the importance of “being able to research primary literature, because it seems to be the biggest problem with the world today.” Through his teaching, he hopes to prepare his students for success in high school and the rest of their lives. Now that the Winter Wishes from the Class of 2026 are true, Mr. Brown delightfully reflected on his experience back at Westridge so far: “I had a great time here, and I’m having a great time now.”