• May 20th Edition Out Now!

Sounds For State Street: Sunkissed

Song

Hello, my name is Carolina, and I am a junior. Growing up, I’ve had a very diverse and unique music taste thanks to my parents. They introduced me to everything under the sun, ranging from Motown and David Bowie to Sade and Dean Martin. 

In this column, I’ll create monthly eclectic playlists full of genres from classical to ’70s rock and R&B to pop with the intention to connect students in the Westridge community through music.  Consisting of 15⁠–20 songs, there will be a brief history of two highlighted songs and their creative significance to me. Additionally, each playlist will revolve around the time of yearfor example, a fall mix or a playlist full of study favorites to get you through exam season. Maybe you’ll listen on your way to school, while you study, or just for fun! Mixed with Taylor Swift and 70s rock, my eclectic playlist may strike a chord with fellow Westridge students, get their toes tapping, and teach them a little about what they are listening to. 

Sunkissed: Carolina’s May Edition playlist

Listen here: Spotify & Apple Music

Happy May! To close this year out, I thought I would make a playlist full of summer fun! Listen as you lay out in the sun, make sweet treats with your friends, or even on a road trip. Happy listening! 

Dreamboat Annie album cover, 1976

Recently, I have been obsessed with Heart’s debut album Dreamboat Annie, released in 1976 in the United States (1975 in Canada). I play it almost every day, and it brings me so much comfort listening to it; so I knew I had to include one of its songs in this month’s playlist. 

The rock band emerged during the vibrant music movement of the 1970s. Sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson, the frontwomen, formed the band in Seattle, Washington, where they played local clubs before skyrocketing into the legendary band we know today. Many, including myself, have been captivated by Ann’s dynamic vocals and Nancy’s proficient guitar skills. Dreamboat Annie immediately established the group as masters of riffing and beautiful harmonies, propelling them into the spotlight. Seamlessly blending rock, folk, and hard rock influences into their signature sound, Heart has evolved each decade, creating new sounds and providing a fresh take on the rock genre. Ann and Nancy Wilson paved the way for future generations of female artists, having shattered stereotypes as women in rock; and their legacy burns brightly. 

The band Heart, 1977

Something unique about Dreamboat Annie is that the album features three different versions of the eponymous song. The first is short and sweet, almost like an interlude, and has a more fantastical sound to it. The opening of the first and second iterations —the soft sound of ocean waves crashing—immediately calms me. It is almost like a lullaby, the soft voice of Ann Wilson meeting the rushing waves, the drum-guitar beat behind. Her voice blends so effortlessly with Nancy’s, and I can’t help but sing along. The second version, the one featured on this playlist, transitions smoothly out of the previous song, “Soul of the Sea,” something that I think adds to the overall quality and craft of the album. The album concludes with the third iteration, a reprise, where the mood takes a bittersweet turn. I think this shift is marked by the introduction of slower, more melancholy guitar and piano melodies. The three iterations of “Dreamboat Annie” tell a story with a beginning, a middle, and an end. Maybe the pursuit of the dream is over and the goal has finally been reached. Or maybe, there is still longing for that dream. 

Patrick and Candido “Lolly” Vasquez-Vegas, before the formation of Redbone

One song that helps define summer for me is “Come and Get Your Love” by Redbone. Its lively rhythm, I think, is perfect for your favorite outdoor activities. This song also evokes a strong sense of nostalgia, and it was released during the peak of summer in 1974. Redbone, the Native American rock band, revolutionized the music scene in the 1970s with their groundbreaking blend of rock, funk, and traditional Native American sounds. Throughout the 60s, the Vegas brothers Pat and Lolly performed on the Las Vegas Strip, where they were well received. The brothers released several albums, contributed to recordings with Tina Turner, Little Richard, Elvis, and Cher, and continued playing shows on the Sunset Strip. Jimi Hendrix, a frequent guest at Sunset Venues, was quite impressed by the skills of guitar player Lolly Vegas. He said he was “the best guitarist he had ever heard and suggested that they create a band.” And so they did. The Vegas brothers formed an all-Native American band with Tony Bellamy (guitar and vocals) and Peter DePoe (drums, percussion, and backing vocals). Their name “Redbone,” (a Cajun term for a mixed-race person) reflected their roots: all members during their peak were of Native American and Mexican American heritage. Their first albums had some hits like “Maggie” and “The Witch Queen of New Orleans.” The music was not only infectious but also carried profound messages of cultural pride and social consciousness. 

The band Redbone

In 1973, the band released their fifth studio album “Wovoka,” which features their most famous song “Come and Get Your Love.” Many of you may know this song as being featured in Guardians of the Galaxy (2014). This song was very important to the plot and was featured many more times in the Marvel Universe. “Come and Get Your Love,” resurged in popularity after its appearance in the 2014 film and hit number one on the Billboard 200. The blend of musical styles creates a catchiness, while the guitar riffs and baseline create a positive and warm atmosphere for the listener. The infectious rhythm, Pat Vegas’ smooth vocals, and the percussion keep the energy high, and you’ve just gotta get up and dance. Beyond their success, Redbone’s impact extended far into advocacy for Indigenous rights and representation within the entertainment industry—they were truly groundbreaking. Their legacy remains powerful: a band that dared to be both unapologetically Native and undeniably rock ‘n’’ roll.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you all enjoy listening. Happy summer!