Key Lime Pie
Graham Cracker Crust:
⅓ pound of graham crackers (finely milled in a food processor)
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
2 tablespoons of sugar
Key Lime Filling:
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
½ cup lime juice
The zest of 2 limes
5 egg yolks (to add richness and color)
(Optional) Whipped cream:
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
5 tablespoons powdered sugar
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
To prepare the crust:
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine the graham crackers, melted butter, and sugar and mix together until you can form a crumbly texture.
2. Take a pie plate and firmly pat down the graham cracker crust, so it creates a uniform base. Bake at 350° F for 5-10 minutes or until the crust lightly browns.
To prepare the key lime filling:
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together and whip until the mixture creates a light, aerated filling. It should be a cream hue.
2. Gently add the filling on the lightly baked pie crust and bake again at 350° F for about 20 minutes or until the filling is very slightly jiggly but firm enough to not spill out. Once completely cooled outside, refrigerate immediately. For best results, garnish the next day and keep cool overnight.
Optional Whipped cream topping:
1. In a large bowl, whip all the ingredients together until the mixture forms soft-stiff peaks.
2. Top on the chilled pie and enjoy!