The student-run newspaper of Westridge School for Girls, Spyglass strives to build community and evoke empathy through the medium of journalism. Comprised of passionate student writers, editors, designers, managers, and leaders, Spyglass is dedicated to ethical reporting that amplifies our unique voices to inform, entertain, and forge connection in the Westridge community and beyond.
Berry+Compote

Berry Compote

My family is big on Greek yogurt; my parents believe that yogurt is the best food for the digestive system. While they love eating it straight, my sister and I find it very bitter, leading us to dislike yogurt. So, with help from my mom, we created a great recipe for berry compote. I usually add a spoonful of it on top of my Greek yogurt, vanilla ice cream, and sometimes bread. I hope you enjoy it! 

Ingredients

4 lbs. Mixed Berries

1 Orange

1 Lemon

1 Cinnamon Stick

½ tsp pepper

1 tsp salt

3 cup sugar

2 tbsp. white wine

¼ cup cornstarch

¼ cup water

Instructions

1. In a large pot, combine all the ingredients, except for the cornstarch and water, at once over high heat. It will take a while for the ingredients to liquify. Bring it to a boil.

2. After boiling, allow it to simmer for 20 minutes. 

3. In a separate small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water to make a paste. 

4. Add the paste into the liquified berries and stir.

5. Bring it to a boil again.

6. After boiling, turn off the heat and allow it to cool to make it thick at room temperature first then the refrigerator if needed. 

7. Store in a mason jar. 

8. Once cooled, serve compote with Greek plain yogurt to make yogurt parfaits or vanilla ice cream. 

Spyglass • Copyright 2022 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in